Re: Updated Scheme files for plotting functions

  • From: Giovanni Piredda <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Updated Scheme files for plotting functions
  • Date: Sat, 23 May 2020 12:05:52 +0200

On 14.05.20 12:04, Giovanni Piredda wrote:

On 14.05.20 00:52, Giovanni Piredda wrote:

I have in mind to add a series of colors with which successive functions will be plotted - if/when I do that I will post again.

Giovanni

Done - I have written using strings for colors, I expect that triplets of numbers should work too but I still need to check that.

On a different theme, input syntax is extremely finicky, I have seen (once) incorrect syntax causing an error which wasn't "obviously" telling what's wrong. I could write an input parser which tells users whether their input file is ok or not.

I have added options so that each plot can be customized: color, line style, line thickness, number of points. Moreover a graph can have a title and labels for the x- and y-axes; the size of the graph can be set by the users. All options have default values (there is a cycle list for colors which I took from gnuplot).

There is still considerable work to do, but I think the program at the moment can be used for private documents. Examples of needed things are - improve the placement of graph elements: tick labels, axes labels, title; refine the size of the tick marks; exponential notation for tick labels; either change the input syntax or write a parser that checks it; add a legend; add plots of data points.

Also, to further annotate the graph once that it has been generated it is necessary to "ink over" it (select it and then Insert->Image->Ink here). To do some changes to the graph itself one has first to deactivate the "ink here" macro, then it will be possible to deactivate the plotFun macro. The third graph in the documentation (not yet in the file with the examples only) has an example.

I know that Joris has written a plotting utility, I am insisting with mine as doing it is fun :-)

Giovanni