Re: \int_a^b f(x) dx : dx is in rm

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: Jay Belanger <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: \int_a^b f(x) dx : dx is in rm
  • Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 21:17:03 +0100 (MET)

On 1 Mar 2002, Jay Belanger wrote:

> Daniel Duparc <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > A curious behaviour:
> > when typing under TeXmacs
> > \int_a^b f(x) dx
> > (TeX notations)
> > d is in math font then, when typing x,
> > dx is changed in rm font.
> >
> > However, typing d "space" x gives the desired
> > result (math font).
> >
> > Is this a bug or a feature?
>
> Both, perhaps.
> Putting the "d" part of the "dx" in integral in roman (or sometimes
> bold, I think) is often considered good typographical style. (A quick
> glance at several of my textbooks indicate this is often ignored.
> Shame on them.) But what about the "x" part? Should it match the
> style of the variable in the rest of the integral?

TeXmacs consistently invites users to enter formulas which have
a mathematical meaning. Therefore:

1. The multiplication should be entered using "*".
Example: "x * y" or "a * ( b + c )"

2. A function or symbol operating on a value or something else
should be entered using brackets or "space".
Examples: "f ( x )" or "d space x"

3. All successions of roman letters of length > 1
are considered as operators.
Example: "s i n space x" or "L i space z"

So this behaviour certainly is not a bug:
it is a feature which is terribly missing in TeX/LaTeX.

-Joris-

Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
http://www.texmacs.org: GNU TeXmacs scientific text editor
http://www.math.u-psud.fr/~vdhoeven: personal homepage