Re: \int_a^b f(x) dx : dx is in rm

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: \int_a^b f(x) dx : dx is in rm
  • Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 21:51:08 +0100 (MET)

> However, I agree with Jay that the 'd' after the integrand should be in
> roman
> font. I do not know what is typographically correct, that is just my two
> cents.

This opinion can indeed be defended, but it is not the current
typographical tradition.

> One could consider that the bug is TeXmacs not providing structured markup
> facilities for integral. But the definition of the macro is really simple.
>
> <assign|stint|<macro|a|b|f|x|\
> <big|int><rsup|<arg|b>><rsub|<arg|a>><arg|f>\
> <with|math font family|rm|d><arg|x>>>
>
> Well... its really simple *inside* TeXmacs.
>
> "stint" is intended to mean "structured int", I agree that name stinks.

This approach is not really confortable, because you do not always need
a subscript, a superscript, or a "d". A better approach which I intend
to implement since a while already (please put it on the wish list),
is to provide a "\big." operator which closes a big operator in a similar
way as "\right." may close a big delimiter. Such a construct is sufficient
to recover the complete mathematical semantics (I will write a paper
about this and other related stuff when I will have time).

-Joris-