Re: \int_a^b f(x) dx : dx is in rm

  • From: David Allouche <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: \int_a^b f(x) dx : dx is in rm
  • Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 21:32:00 +0100

On Friday 01 March 2002 21:17, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> On 1 Mar 2002, Jay Belanger wrote:
> > Daniel Duparc <address@hidden> writes:
> > > when typing under TeXmacs
> > > \int_a^b f(x) dx
> > > (TeX notations)
> > > d is in math font then, when typing x,
> > > dx is changed in rm font.
> >
> > Both, perhaps.
> > Putting the "d" part of the "dx" in integral in roman (or sometimes
> > bold, I think) is often considered good typographical style. (A quick
> > glance at several of my textbooks indicate this is often ignored.
> > Shame on them.) But what about the "x" part? Should it match the
> > style of the variable in the rest of the integral?
>
> 3. All successions of roman letters of length > 1
> are considered as operators.
> Example: "s i n space x" or "L i space z"
>
> So this behaviour certainly is not a bug:
> it is a feature which is terribly missing in TeX/LaTeX.

However, I agree with Jay that the 'd' after the integrand should be in roman
font. I do not know what is typographically correct, that is just my two
cents.

One could consider that the bug is TeXmacs not providing structured markup
facilities for integral. But the definition of the macro is really simple.

<assign|stint|<macro|a|b|f|x|\
<big|int><rsup|<arg|b>><rsub|<arg|a>><arg|f>\
<with|math font family|rm|d><arg|x>>>

Well... its really simple *inside* TeXmacs.

"stint" is intended to mean "structured int", I agree that name stinks.
--

-- David --