Re: \int_a^b f(x) dx : dx is in rm

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: \int_a^b f(x) dx : dx is in rm
  • Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 11:23:27 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Andrey G. Grozin wrote:

> Hi *,
>
> > > However, I agree with Jay that the 'd' after the integrand should be in
> > > roman
> > > font. I do not know what is typographically correct, that is just my
> > > two
> > > cents.
> > This opinion can indeed be defended, but it is not the current
> > typographical tradition.
>
> Some publishers (e.g., Springer-Verlag) require exactly this: d in
> integrals and derivatives, i (the imaginary unit), e (exp(1)) *must* be in
> roman.

I know, especially for i and e (maybe I should create macros \i, \e and \d);
this happened to me for one paper (published by Elsevier).
However, a few weeks ago, a friend of mine made the same remark and
I have looked at a few dozen of books from different publishers in
my personal library; none of them used this convention.

-Joris-

Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
http://www.texmacs.org: GNU TeXmacs scientific text editor
http://www.math.u-psud.fr/~vdhoeven: personal homepage