Re: bibliography not exported in html, hilighting changes, xmldiff

  • From: address@hidden
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: bibliography not exported in html, hilighting changes, xmldiff
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 17:31:59 +0100

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 01:27:43PM +0100, Nicolas Girard wrote:
> Let me tell you about a dream that will come true when i can do the same
> stuff than what i'm about to do with docbook files:
>
> - for a docbook document d.xml:
> - ask the CVS server if the document has changed since the last check
> - if it has changed:
> - get the two revisions as d.old and d.new
> - call xmldiff -x d.old d.new > diff.xupdate:
> ( -x, --xupdate
> display output in Xupdate xml specification )
> - transform the diff.xupdate
> into revisions in docbook format,
> with some additional informations
> (date, log entry) given by CVS,
> using an xslt stylesheet,
> and add it to, let's say, revisions.xml

If you are willing to do some Scheme hacking, the answer is NOW.

It is already possible to export/import TM documents to a trivial XML
format. You can find more about this on http://ddaa.net/texmacs and by
searching the archives of address@hidden. There is also ongoing
work to make the conversion less trivial by converting the internal
encoding of TeXmacs to Unicode (see recent posts on texmacs-dev).

The main remaining issue is integrating CVS in TeXmacs, but that is
not a complex issue. By the way, if you hack something for this, we
are very interested because it will simplify the use of the
texmacs-doc CVS.

> *That's it*
> As d.xml already includes revisions.xml, there's a clean separation between
> the changes and the associated metadata describing these changes.
> Of course, you can imagine as many refinements as you can ; for
> instance, you could imagine that all section or all chapter have their
> own revisions
>
> All that is possible thanks to the simple fact that docbook is xml,
> since xml defines:
> - a standard way of associating metadata to data
> - a standard way of parsing data and metadata

These issues are best discussed on texmacs-dev.

> So all this could be possible if TeXmacs used xml as its file format...
> No, it's not that i'm trying to convince you to switch to xml....err,
> hem, yes, actually, i'm trying to convince you... sorry !!

TeXmacs internals will not switch to XML, because S-exps are more
generic and easier to work with. And anyway we are working towards
better XML export/import filters just right now.

--
David Allouche | GNU TeXmacs -- Writing is a pleasure
Free software engineer | http://www.texmacs.org