Re: [TeXmacs] about some weird behviours

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] about some weird behviours
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 18:06:40 +0100

On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 02:42:48PM +0100, Henri Lesourd wrote:
> >4. when i select some text, i can delete or copy but not overwrite it as
> >a whole.

This is the (traditional) default under Unix.
We might include an option for making delete+overwrite the default
when selecting Windows look and feel.

> >5. texmacs supports a nice feature i really like. moving the cursor
> >close to a differently formatted sequence of text is done in two steps
> >of which the first is not overtaking the format and the second will do.
> >a similar behaviour is chosen for crossing outlined areas. though this
> >makes sense, it is not what is wanted in the common case. it is rather
> >an option that should be selected by pressing the control key down
> >while moving the cursor or similar. as it is now, it is rather in the
> >way and confusing hell a lot.

I think that this is a matter of habits. Yes: TeXmacs is
a *structured* editor, so this feature is a very central one.
For consistency, I therefore deliberately opted for this behaviour,
even if this requires a few hours of training for some people.

> >6. i tried to work with headers, footers, and pagenumbers but only got
> >kinds of markers into the text. first they looked like placeholders but
> >they were only of normal text and even overtaken as is into the pdf
> >file. because i couldn't find documentation on that, i still don't know
> >how to work with headers, footers, and pagenumbers.

Yes, I am aware that the user-friendlyness can be improved.

> >8. creating pdf files with any other default or extra font than roman
> >ended in badly rasterized displaying of the document in a pdf viewer.
> >
> This I don't know why it is.

Can be that the corresponding type 1 font is missing on your computer.
You may download the complete TeXmacs fonts package.

> >9. i'm not shure if texmacs' pdf suport is pdf-x safe, i.e. the fonts
> >are embedded or the full text is vectorized.

Fonts with a type 1 equivalent on your harddisk will be vectorized for sure.

> >10. there seems to be no option to set the title of the document.
> >instead, the title seems to always be the path to the temporary
> >working folder of texmacs. because the title is shown in the window bar
> >of the pdf viewer, this solution is not proper for digital documents
> >sent to third parties like customers or employers.

This can be added.

> >12. i tried to save a letter without giving the filename an extension.

> >after reloading the file, all text formatting (font, bold etc.) was gone
> >and the text looked like written in monospaced terminal font. i wasn't
> >able to reformat the text manually too. then i gave the filename the
> >first extension i read from the filter line in the save dialog. the
> >reloaded text looked like being written with roman font though it was
> >written with arial. reformatting didn't work too--only visibly, though,
> >because in the status bar the correct font name and style were shown.
> >only with the extensions '.ts' and '.tp' i had luck. however, there was
> >no documentation on this and i don't really know what this all is up to.
> >i'd like to store documents without extension and have them reloaded
> >correctly.
> >
> You cannot store documents without extension in
> the current versions of TeXmacs. The ".tm" extension
> is mandatory for TeXmacs documents.

Exactly, unless you change the suffix rules.

> Files with any other extensions are always understood
> as text without formatting.

More precisely, they are understood as files of the corresponding format
(if recognized, such as .tex, .html, .xhtml, etc.).

Best wishes, Joris