Re: [TeXmacs] about some weird behviours

  • From: Dennis Heuer <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] about some weird behviours
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 05:51:14 +0100

> >do i have to activate something to make
> >texmacs aware of the new fonts? why there are more fonts available in
> >'format' than in 'document'?
> >
> TeXmacs is not like word where you can choose a font by means of
> its name. There is some kind of underlying logic to classify the
> available fonts in more abstract categories, it seems. But I don't
> know how it works exactly, in fact. What I know is that (to my
> knowledge), the raw name of the font never appears in the markup.

what i meant is that the extra fonts from the complete package aren't
available from the menue (and that there are more fonts available from
'format' than from 'document'). the dejavu font i put into
fonts/truetype wasn't installed to ~/.TeXmacs/fonts/truetype at all.
copying it to there manually doesn't make it available to texmacs.
possibly, the memory of the available fonts is hardcoded in texmacs?

> Isn't Type 1 the same as truetype ?

the Type 1 font is a postscript font based on a definition of Adobe.
the TrueType font (.ttf) is the default on Windows systems, and Apple
is holding some patents on it. the OpenType font is the unicode-capable
successor of both, mainly based on TrueType because MS was more
stubborn than Adobe in the negociations (backward-compatibility
issues, as always with MS).

> Strange. Usually you do File->Export->Pdf, and then it creates
> a PDF file in directory where your file is located, and you
> don't have these name problems.

this is true but the title in the pdf viewer is taken from the pdf
file's metadata. here's such a section from a pdf file:

<</Producer(GNU Ghostscript 8.01)
/CreationDate(D:20071122150019)
/ModDate(D:20071122150019)
/Creator(TeXmacs-1.0.6.12)
/Title(/root/.TeXmacs/system/tmp/tmp_999516737.ps)

endobj

possibly ghostscript puts in the title if no title is set on
commandline.

> >i also tried the fullscreen mode but couldn't leave anymore (had to
> >crash X). there was a context menue available at right-click--but
> >without context. the entries do not react to clicking on them. there
> >doesn't even pop up an empty submenue.
> >
> This should definitely work. What OS are you using ?

linux with gtk+ 2.10. the context menue is available in both the
fullscreen and the normal view. but it doesn't do anything. it doesn't
even highlight the entries when moving the mouse over them. for a
luck, it disappears when clicking to elsewhere :)

regards,
dennis