Re: My experience with TeXmacs and a question about the Jolly Writer

  • From: Giovanni Piredda <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: My experience with TeXmacs and a question about the Jolly Writer
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 16:31:25 +0100

On 19.11.20 15:07, Massimiliano Gubinelli wrote:

Being with a mac keyboard it took me a very long time to find out that I had to page-down (which doesn’t exist per se on a mac keyboard) to allow to the cursor to go outside the session… Try it with a mouse and not using page-down and you’ll understand I guess my frustration...

No it is easy: just click on the right margin, out of the session, the cursor will position just after the session, then you can press enter and continue writing norma text. Did I understood your difficulty correclty?

Still, key presses that do that would be good. I tried now all of the combinations (arrows or pgDown with modifier keys) I could think of and none of those brought the cursor outside the session. I remember finding that I could not move the cursor as I wanted with the keyboard in another case---I have to check, it is perhaps the "Menu" markup of the "Notes" style.

These are of course small things but on the other hand helpful when they are there; perhaps the concept of "uniform control of cursor movement" helps users to edit their documents---as one can go outside a display math environment with right and left arrow and it seems "helpful"  (to me) if this were valid for all environments.

Besides, it is possible to enter a Scheme session with "left arrow" when coming from the right, but not to exit it towards the right (right arrow), while (with left/right arrows) it is possible to exit towards the left, but it is not possible to enter coming from the left. And it is possible to exit with down arrow if there is some text afterwards, but not possible if there is no text (still falls under the concept of "uniformity" IMO).

Giovanni