Re: Space between two paragraphs

  • From: TeXmacs <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Space between two paragraphs
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 23:34:51 +0200

Hi Frank,

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 08:05:29PM +0200, Frank wrote:
> I found that replacement in TeXmacs will do something unexpected, thus I
> usually use text editors to replace - I don't know whether I do it in a
> wrong way. For example, if I replace $dR$ by $cris$ in the attached file
> (using the separate window version that you mentioned), it will replace the
> whole math formulae but not just the subscripts.

You are using the search and replace in an incorrect manner.
If you want to replace parts of mathematical formulas, then you should open
the tool in mathematics mode. Replacing "dR" by "cris" then works in your
example.
In the documentation it is explained that "search and replace" is mode
sensitive.

The search tool has the property that structured text can match without
having an exact identity. If you search $dR$ (i.e. a "math" tag with "dR"
inside),
then this matches all "math" tags in your document with "dR" _somewhere_
as a subformula (in a subscript in your case). In this case, the match will
be for the entire formula and so will the replacement (as indicated by the
fact
that the entire formula is being selected).

If you don't like this behaviour, then you can click on the little
preferences icon in the search tool and unselect "Allow cascaded matches".
But, cascaded matches in combination with empty matches can be extremely
useful, since they allow you to replace all 'em' tags in a document
by a 'strong' tag, for instance, as well as more complex structured
replacements.

In any case, it is the selected text that gets replaced.

Best wishes, --Joris