Re: Session bug? son of interactive shell does not get input

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: Stephane Payrard <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Session bug? son of interactive shell does not get input
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 00:31:20 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Stephane Payrard wrote:

> Perspective: this is an early feedback from someone that has used
> texmacs for only 3 hours or so but has used emacs for years.
> So I can miss the obvious, but a naive feeback can always be useful :)
>
> 1/ TeXmacs has a session mechanism in which I can run sucessfully an
> interactive shell but a command started by the said shell does not get
> the input from the keyboard as it should.
> By comparaison, a interactive shell in emacs works correctly.

Yes, I know. The problem that shells have no proper mechanism for
handshaking (saying who is waiting for input). I am still thinking
about how I may deal with this problem inside TeXmacs.

> 2/ Also, is it possible to get the keyboard accelerators displayed in the
> menu? This is the best way to progressively move from mixed input
> (mouse+keyboard) to a faster keyboard input mode (à la emacs).

The keyboard accelerators are displayed as help balloons.
I found it often very ugly to have them inside the menus,
but I may rechange my mind and implement better alignment
for the shorthands than was previously the case.

> 3/ Your documentation should be hyperlinked so that a complete
> beginner like me can move around more easily in the documentation before
> getting his way in the menus.

I have been projecting to do this, but I had no time yet.

> 4/ Telated to 3/
> I don't get the different meaning of the different links that can
> be created from (Insert->Links). Admittedly I have not yet searched
> very hard.

Well, some are links, others are references,
soon we will have things to put into the index, etc.

> 5/ Eventually it should be nice to be able to split a window in many panels
> (In emacs parlance that would be to split a frame in many windows) but
> without
> the emacs bug: emacs does not always display the buffer in the right
> window (in emacs speak: frame)
> when the said buffer already appears within another window (in emacs
> speak:frame).
> Bug triggered by ^X^B when the "*Buffer List*"already opend in another
> windows (in emacs frame).
> I am not asking you to correct the bug in emacs!! just point out this is
> not easy to implement
> right.

Yes, but this will be for later.

> 6/ I consider A providing a Perl binding to TexMacs.

Yes please do so.

> What are the functions that should be provided first besides
> something like bind-key for remapping the keyboard?

What would you think to be most useful?

> Thank you for this very promising tool and for your attention.

Thanks for your kind reaction.

Joris van der Hoeven (address@hidden)
http://www.texmacs.org: GNU TeXmacs scientific text editor
http://www.math.u-psud.fr/~vdhoeven: personal homepage