Re: Problem with table borders

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Problem with table borders
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 11:11:45 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Michael P Friedlander wrote:

> --On Wednesday, November 14, 2001 04:05:40 PM +0100 Joris van der Hoeven
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > It seems that you have only set the bottom border of your cell.
>
> That's right: I only want, and only set, a bottom border to the cell. The
> problem is that in the postscript output, a border appears around the
> *entire* cell, not just the bottom. Here's a (very small, 12k) screenshot
> of the postscript output:
>
> http://www.stanford.edu/~mpf/table.jpg

In fact, I think that this is really an error in ghostscript:
TeXmacs probably attempts to draw boxes with width or height zero.
Please try to print your postscript file to a printer;
I think that the output should be OK.
Nevertheless, I should have a look and avoid to draw boxes
with width or height zero...

> > If you want a border around your cell, then you should use
> > "Border icon"->border and type 2pt RET in the footer.
> > Also, the preffered unit for line widths (like borders or
> > fraction bars) is "ln"; the standard table format uses 1ln
> > (same width as the fraction bar).
>
> Where are the different lengths described? "pt" is a standard unit -- what
> is the meaning of 1 ln?

As I said, 1ln stands for the width of the fraction bar (or the bar in
a square root, or the bar in an overline, etc.). This width is in general
different from 1pt: it may actually depend on the font (and not only on
the size of the font).

-Joris-