Re: Problem with table borders

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Problem with table borders
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 16:05:40 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Michael P Friedlander wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Adding any border to a cell in a table seems to create "ghost" borders
> around the entire cell when I view the document in postscript. For
> example, the single-cell table
>
> <tabular|<tformat|<cwith|1|1|1|1|cell bborder|2pt>|<table|<row|<cell|a>>>>>
>
> (I'm new to TeXmacs, so I apologize if this isn't the way to refer to
> examples) shows up perfectly in the TeXmacs window with a single border on
> the bottom. But in postscript, the cell has a thin, gray border all
> around. If you want, here's a small screen shot of the postscript output:
>
> http://www.stanford.edu/~mpf/table.jpg
>
> Am I defining the table appropriately?
>
> Thanks for the help.

It seems that you have only set the bottom border of your cell.
If you want a border around your cell, then you should use
"Border icon"->border and type 2pt RET in the footer.
Also, the preffered unit for line widths (like borders or
fraction bars) is "ln"; the standard table format uses 1ln
(same width as the fraction bar).

You finally have to be careful about ane more thing:
if you set all borders of all cells in a table to 1ln,
then the actual borders between cells will be 2ln
(except for the outer border, which has width 1ln).
In the table environment, most cells therefore only
have their bottom and right borders set to 1ln;
only the cells on the first row and column have
non trivial top and left borders.

Best regards,

Joris