Re: removing packages, pdf fonts

  • From: Adam Warner <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: removing packages, pdf fonts
  • Date: 01 Apr 2002 23:48:58 +1200

On Mon, 2002-04-01 at 11:07, Nirmal Govind wrote:
> Hi,
<snip>

> Also, when I use ps2pdf on the ps files that were generated, the fonts in
> the pdf file look really ugly.. how do I get around this problem?

Nirmal, it is _Adobe Acrobat Reader_ that doesn't render bitmap fonts
properly, hence the really ugly fonts. You will find if you view the PDF
using Ghostview that the fonts look fine. It's sad that a world class
typography company isn't capable of rendering bitmap fonts onscreen to
the quality that free software can achieve. It is clear to me that Adobe
is trying to promote the use of their own Type 1 font specification.

It's going to be a non-trivial task translating all the Type 3 fonts to
Type 1 equivalents so they render nicely in Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Someone (perhaps even myself) will one day achieve this. I am not aware
of anyone currently working on this but it has been discussed here.

I have printed out the Adobe PDF specification to digest.

Regards,
Adam