Re: texmacs installation problem

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: texmacs installation problem
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 17:09:37 +0100 (MET)

> On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 10:16:45AM -0500, Bill Page wrote:
> > Does texmacs-1.0.0.21 with guile-1.6.0 work differently
> > with the older version of guile?
>
> What is the meaning of your question?
>
> I have tested my patch not to prevent operation with guile-1.4.1.
> Joris claims it may cause problem with older versions but I was not
> able to verify this yet.

Yes, the problem with David's patch is that it disables certain
changes which I made before in order to avoid bugs on other systems.
I will look to this problem some time soon, probably before
the next release, and try to come up with a better solution.

> > Besides remaining current, is there a good reason to prefer
> > guile-1.6.0?
>
> Better stuff.

Not sure; one of the Guile maintainers told me a few months ago
that he still prefers version 1.3.4 himself...

New versions do not always mean progress.
In particular, in the case of g++, I unfortunately have to recommend
very strongly not to use any of the compilers in the 3.* series in order
to build TeXmacs: they more or less systematically lead to strange bugs.
This might be due to TeXmacs, but in one case it surely was not,
and I more and more come to believe that the problems come from gcc.

> But if your only use of GUILE is running TeXmacs, the answer is no.

In fact, one usually prefers the version which is installed on the system.
If Guile is not installed, then I continue to recommend version 1.3.4.

> > Note: Cygwin setup installed guile-1.6.0 by default and
> > this of course causes problems with texmacs installation.
>
> I plan to investigate compilation on Cygwin soon, since there seem to
> be a lot of problems at the moment. That will probably lead to the
> production of one more patch and an update on my website.

Thanks. Maybe you can improve the following page too, when ready:

http://www.texmacs.org/Download/Cygwin.html

The page is not yet officially listed, but we will do this as soon as
it becomes sufficiently suitable for non-expert users.