Re: [TeXmacs] Single french quotes

  • From: Jan Ulrich Hasecke <address@hidden>
  • To: <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Single french quotes
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 18:36:27 +0100

Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden> writes:

> The master reference for German quotation
> is Buechmann's >>Gefluegelte Worte<<.
> It contains the whole stock of citations
> commonly shared in the German culture.
> There, the standard is ,,...``, titles of books get >>...<<,
> and citations are in italics. All of these quotation styles have
> a tradition of half a millenium.

Please have a look at any current german book available. And bear in
mind that Büchmanns book is all about quotations. ;-)

Quotes for direct speech are usually:
>>This is direct speech. I am reading >Geflügelte Worte< from
Büchmann.<<

You can see it in: Jean Paul. Gesammelte Werke. Hanser Verlag (Nice books!)

Or:

<<This is direct speech. I am reading <Geflügelte Worte> from
Büchmann.>>

You can see it in: Robert Musil: Mann ohne Eigenschaften. Rowohlt
Verlag (Nice book too!)

The last time I saw ,,these quotes'' was in school-books. ;-)

Italics are to emphasize things. Yes, they are used sometimes for
quotes also.

So it would be great, if all these quotes were avaiable in german
context.

juh

--
Bücherwahnsinn! Was kann man ohne Angst noch lesen?
http://www.sudelbuch.de/2001/20010228.html