Re: [TeXmacs] Problems with no-indent*

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Problems with no-indent*
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:04:49 +0200

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 11:40:38AM +0200, Alvaro Tejero Cantero wrote:
> I mentioned in a previous message that I was searching for a way to type
> in footnotes without slowing down the editor in the editing phase.
> Waiting for a better solution, I wrote the following simple macro
>

> <assign|fnote|<\macro|text>
> <document|<with|font-base-size|9|<arg|text>><no-indent*>>
> </macro>>
>
> Which, when I finish the document, will be reimplemented using
> \footnote.
>
> The macro should print "text" in small size and remove indent. The
> problem with "disable indentation before" (=no-indent*) is that one can
> no longer write a paragraph, i.e. the lines don't wrap.
>
> Do you know how to redesign the macro?

This is non-trivial, because notes are very essentially floating objects.
So you cannot escape the experienced slowness, except by hacking the C++ code.
One idea in that case would be to use a floating object which is positioned
"here"
and to make the implementation of this fast in papyrus mode.

Another (very crude) solution would be to hide the footnote alltogether and
make it reappear in the final version.