Re: [TeXmacs] New mode for graphics

  • From: Henri Lesourd <address@hidden>
  • To: Mark Arrasmith <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] New mode for graphics
  • Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 00:37:06 +0200

Is the graphics mode the future plan for how sessions (MuPad, Maxima, Octave, gnuplot, etc) should dump graphics back into the document?

They could do it this way, provided that inside the plugin (MuPad, Maxima, Octave,
gnuplot, etc.) exists some kind of markup that you can translate to the TeXmacs
markup language. If the plugin directly generates Postscript, then the only thing
you can do is insert the Postscript image into the document.

You can have a look at :
<<
http://www.ags.uni-sb.de/~henri/texmacs/aTeXmacsGraphicsTutorial.pdf

The Appendix A contains an overview of the current graphical markup
that you can use for translating your graphics into TeXmacs markup,
and the Appendix B gives an example of a Scheme function that
generates a drawing.

It would be a very useful tool for gnuplot to return an image where we could add advanced text, labels, further diagrams, and resize from within the graphics mode. I suppose a variation of a pstoedit pass-through is what I'm thinking about.

We plan to add a feature of annotating an image (.ps, .gif, etc.)
using a superposition of the image and a graphics.

Is the editing graphics mode going to be designed for Mathematics (geometry, etc) or Graphics (flow charts)?

It can be used for such a purpose (you can actually use it now to make geometry,
or mathematical drawings), but for flow charts or for a more sophisticated editor
for geometry, we need to add more features.

If geometry is one goal I would recommend that people play with http://edu.kde.org/kig/. KIG is part of the KDEedu project. The interface behavior with the buttons, mouse pointers, and menus is an environment that I really like.

Thanks for the pointer.

Right now the TeXmacs graphics editor doesn't give me enough feedback on what I'm doing at any given moment. For example if I select the TextBox button or Add Circle button I can't tell at all which mode I'm in.

You are not the first one to do this remark. We need to think about
finding a way to change this.

Bugs: Z and z don't zoom the image for me. They just type Z or z within the image. (I'm using the rpm install)

We changed the keys just before the release : you must use '+' and '-' instead.

You can get locked out of editing the image. Steps: Insert a new drawing. First thing ... create a text box in the image and type some text. You then can't click out of that text box within the image.

Yes, this one is not exactly a bug, but something that doesn't
work well, anyway. The current workaround for this is to move
the cursor with the Left/Right arrows until you reach the edge
of the text box, and then the next press on Left/Right will
move the cursor into the graphics area again...

Best, Henri