Re: [TeXmacs] Announcement: TeXmacs.app for MacOS X Tiger

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Announcement: TeXmacs.app for MacOS X Tiger
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 19:24:02 +0100

On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 06:06:16PM +0100, Ingolf Schäfer wrote:
> I think it is definitely possible and should be considerded, but I would
> suggest to work in a different direction. I think we should not try to
> port to QT/WX /GTK/... but we should aim to use cairo instead of direct
> X11 calls. This would make TeXmacs easier to port and would also be an
> enrichment to TeXmacs.

For the new graphics mode, Henri and I are indeed considering changing
the underlying libraries. Cairo and OpenGL are both good candidates.
We might also want to opt for an abstract layer (like the current
ps_device) with different implementations.

Notice however that the graphical routines are probably the easiest part,
because of the current ps_device abstraction. More complex is the event
handling, which is also based on X, currently. Moreover, this is getting
more and more complex. For instance, the next version should come with
support for Japanese, Chinese and maybe Korean. However, our current
implementation heavily depends on the X input method.

Best wishes, Joris