Re: [TeXmacs] Announcement: TeXmacs.app for MacOS X Tiger

  • From: Magnus Rohde <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Announcement: TeXmacs.app for MacOS X Tiger
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:37:42 +0100

Den 20/1-2006, kl. 11:19, Peter Jung wrote:

This is certainly right. At least, mac-users will now be much more ready to download a dmg, than having to cope with fink. However I fear, that the potential new mac users downloading the texmacs.dmg also could get frightened by the contrast between their expectation wrt an app in a dmg and the experience they have in this case.

OpenOffice (on Mac OS X) existed for a long time only as a X11-program, and they were able to recruit many people, and at least one developer so they could make NeoOffice. And since TeXmacs has more appleal to technical minded people maybe it will be easier to get some cocoa-developers on board? With regard to teTeX distributions, I think it should be able to use Gerben Wieda's teTex, as it comes in a real Mac application and not via fink. That way you could install TeXmacs without touching the commandline, and that will have an appeal to a lot of users (me included).

To really attract a lot of mac users one ultimately would need a native port. I am currently considering this possibility. But I am not an experienced cocoa-developer, either.

It will be very time consuming to make a native cocoa version, maybe if TeXmacs was using GNUstep it would be easier.

regards
Magnus