Re: [TeXmacs] What to do to make maxima work

  • From: Henri Lesourd <address@hidden>
  • To: Jan Brosius <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] What to do to make maxima work
  • Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 14:30:00 +0200

Jan Brosius wrote:

I have done this , but when I enter anything, e.g. Enter , then the
whole window disappears.
You mean the whole TeXmacs window ? Then it is probably
a Maxima crash.

OK, and what do you get on TeXmacs console ? (i.e., on the
xterm screen from where you started TeXmacs) ?

This is what I get when starting texmacs from an xterminal (I have also
started maxima)

[Jan@localhost ~]$ texmacs
TeXmacs] With linked TrueType support
TeXmacs] Launching 'tm_maxima 5.9.3 gcl'

OK, and what do you get exactly on the console when the
whole TeXmacs window disappears ? Do you get :
<<
[Jan@localhost ~]$ texmacs
TeXmacs] With linked TrueType support
TeXmacs] Launching 'tm_maxima 5.9.3 gcl'
[Jan@localhost ~]$ _

or either :
<<
[Jan@localhost ~]$ texmacs
TeXmacs] With linked TrueType support
TeXmacs] Launching 'tm_maxima 5.9.3 gcl'
... Some other TeXmacs messages ...
[Jan@localhost ~]$ _

It is important to know this, in order to be able to
understand what "the whole TeXmacs window disappears"
exactly means.

The 1st case would mean something really strange,
whether the second one (especially if the "Some
other TeXmacs messages" part includes a "segmentation
violation", or some other low level error message like
this) would be indicative of a bug in TeXmacs Maxima's
plugin which propagates inside TeXmacs & crashes
it (i.e. : this is the usual scenario).