Re: [TeXmacs] graphical tool and Joris Paper

  • From: Stephan Mucha <address@hidden>
  • To: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
  • Cc: Javier Arantegui <address@hidden>, address@hidden, address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] graphical tool and Joris Paper
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 14:43:36 +0200

Hello,

I played a little with different options and got these results:

Afaik, there is no feature of plotting a function inside graphics mode.
It could of course be implemented using scheme and the existing
graphing primitives. But this wouldn't be so straightforward as drawing
some circles ...

The plot feature of TeXmacs (Insert->Image->Plot) uses gnuplot via the
tm-gnuplot interface and the background evaluation mechanism via the
scheme command (plugin-eval ...).

I tested, how far I could get with your wishes using a graph made
within a gnuplot session (Section 1 of attached file). The plot uses
gnuplot's capabilities to draw a grid.

In section 2 one can see that embedded images are drawn over the grid
(copy image in the session, Insert->Image->Draw, add text box, paste
image). Furthermore I tested, whether the graph in the article by Joris may
have been drawn, not plotted (see Henri Lesourds message sent
14:20) ...

Searching the scm-files of TeXmacs I found the menu definition of
Insert->Image->Draw in
/usr/share/texmacs/TeXmacs/progs/generic/insert-menu.scm
and two commented lines for the menu item:
"Insert->Image->Draw over Selection" mentioned in Joris' paper:
;;(when (selection-active-small?)
;; ("Draw over selection" (make-graphics-over-selection)))

After uncommenting them and restarting TeXmacs this item appears
(greyed out when no selection is active). With it, I generated the
image in section 3 (Copy and paste image, select it,
Insert->Image->Draw over Selection). A grid over the postscript is of
course possible, but it is drawn over(!) the image and one has to
assure manually that it coincides with the axes of the plot. Probably
not what you want. At least the feature to draw over some selection
makes it possibly to add TeXmacs graphics and text to a real plot.

Hope this helps!

--
Kind regards,
Stephan

mlgc> Hi and thank you for your help,

mlgc> it looked exactly as i wanted at first, but :

mlgc> 1°) i can draw on the plot but cannot add a grid (what was on Joris's
mlgc> paper)

mlgc> 2°) i don't know how to resize the plot (in an image an dmore generally
mlgc> in the document)

mlgc> 3°) with this function f(x)=(1-sqrt(1-x^2))*(x<1)+x*(x>1) (which is in
mlgc> first plot) there is this line linking the "two" functions which i don't
mlgc> want on the document.

mlgc> As a joined document you will find what i could do

mlgc> Thank you

mlgc> MLL

mlgc> Le vendredi 15 septembre 2006 à 10:37 +0200, Javier Arantegui a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> El Viernes, 15 de Septiembre de 2006 09:18, address@hidden escribió:
>> > but i didn't find where to draw function with their rational expression
>> > (f(x)=1-sqrt(1-x^2) on [0,1] and f(x)=x on [1,4], for example).
>>
>> I'm not sure about what you meant. But it's quite easy to plot that
>> function
>> as a plot (Insert:Image:Plot):
>>
>> f(x)=(1-sqrt(1-x^2))*(x<1)+x*(x>1)
>>

>> Another interesting thing about TeXmacs drawing mode is that you can
>> create a
>> drawing area (Insert -> Image -> Draw image). After that, add a text box
>> and
>> draw a plot in this box as you would do normally. Now, you can draw over
>> the
>> plot.
>>

>> Javier

Dipl.-Ing. Stephan Mucha
Tel.: 0341/97-33806
Fax: 0341/97-33809
e-mail: address@hidden

Universität Leipzig
Institut für Massivbau und Baustofftechnologie
Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. Nguyen Viet Tue
Marschnerstrasse 31
04109 Leipzig