Re: [TeXmacs] texmacs versions in debian

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] texmacs versions in debian
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 16:04:43 +0200

Hi Kamaraju,

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 04:42:41AM -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> I am currently part of the maintenance team of texmacs in Debian. I
> would like to get some feedback from Debian users using Texmacs and from
> the developers of texmacs. Previously, all the 4 digit versions of texmacs
> (ex:- 1.0.6.9) used to be uploaded to 'Debian experimental' and 3 digit
> versions (ex:- 1.0.6) are uploaded to 'Debian unstable'. The idea is that
> the 4 digit versions of texmacs are very unstable compared to the 3 digit
> versions.
>
> However, texmacs has been taking a long time to release 1.0.7. Besides,
> packages in debian experimental does not get that much tested as do
> packages in debian unstable.
>
> So do Debian users like to see Texmacs versions such as 1.0.6.10 in
> unstable? What do the developers think? Are the 4 digit versions so
> immature that they fail to compile etc.,? or are they reasonably usable?
>
> Any opinions/suggestions would be very welcome. Especially if you are a long
> term texmacs+Debian user.

In fact, our plan was to release a new stable (three digit) version
every four months or so. However, we have had difficulties with keeping up
this rhythm. Hopefully things will get better this year. Four digit
versions are usually quite stable too, but there are exceptions.
If you want to support four digit versions, then please carefully
check bug reports on texmacs-dev and avoid buggy versions.

Best wishes, Joris