Re: [TeXmacs] TeXmacs name

  • From: Alvaro Tejero Cantero <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] TeXmacs name
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 09:13:18 +0100

Dear Madhusudan,

I am afraid you're wrong.

> I think that TeXmacs is almost the perfect name for the program.

Yes if the target is to confuse everybody.

It has TeX
> support,

Wrong. It exports (not 1:1) to LaTeX, runs BibTeX for the bibliography
and can use TeX fonts. Employing TeX in the name triggers the wrong
expectations - you seem yourself not to have understood what the
program does alone from the name... Once more: TeXmacs has its own
typesetter. It does not run TeX for positioning boxes.

> and is almost as versatile as Emacs.

for many people (especially the target group of TeXmacs) the
association upon hearing "Emacs" is to a horribly complicated program,
that requires learning arcane keybindings even for the most basic
operations, that uses a weird terminology and that sports a cryptic
and nonstandard interface.

N.B. I am a happy user of Emacs myself, I am here just portraying a
very common reaction independently of whether it does justice to
Emacs.

If you'd like to underline the programmable aspect of the editor, I
don't think this is of interest to users that don't know yet the
program. A really important property of TeXmacs however is that it
treats the document as an structured tree which can be modified live.

I would have perhaps preferred
> something like SciTeXWriter (or SciTeXmaster, given that it is more than
> just a writer), but TeXmacs does nicely.

No mumble-jumble of amputated words can do justice to a reasonably
featureful piece of software. Following that rule one could call Paris
SeinEiffCoeursées.

> Your other proposed name is obscure sounding, and if anything,

_Your_ name sounds obscure to me. I hope you understand that this is a
relative perception and that you cannot fully satisfy a global
audience. You just need something unique enough and to dispense with
the need for denotation (you can still use connotation). Quipu would
become familiar as well as any other name; surely we will receive
other good suggestions.

does not
> convey anything about the functionality of the program to the potential
> userbase.

The current one gets the wrong message across.

> Name changes are usually fraught with confusion, and unless there
> is a really massive upside, best not done.

The upcoming release of a QT-based version is exactly the opportunity.
TeXmacs is massively undermarketed in regard to what is capable of
doing.

Best regards,

Álvaro.