Re: [TeXmacs] TeXmacs name

  • From: Gubinelli Massimiliano <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] TeXmacs name
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 16:19:16 +0100

Hi all,

we've discussed the issue with the name at few times in the past, both in person and on the web (cfr. the link given by Alvaro in this thread). I agree that TeXmacs does not sound bad at all, especially for a regular TeXmacs user... But nonetheless there is some impression (maybe misled) that the prefix TeX- in the name convey the utterly wrong idea that TeXmacs is an interface to TeX like many others avaliables (Lyx, Kile, TeXshop, TeXworks, TeXnicCenter, etc...) For that point of view, TeXmacs is both weird (due to its old- fashioned interface -- sorry Joris) and bad, since when the lambda user discover that there is not full LaTeX support is just horrified. So in my opinion the name attracts only the wrong class of users (those who are looking for a TeX frontend) and the reality of the software repel them since it is not what they where looking for. My personal experience is that it took me many occasional visits to the TeXmacs web page to finally understand the real quality of the program and the big difference between this kind of programs and the others I've mentioned. I think between the first time I get to knew TeXmacs and the moment I get involved in developing passed 3/5 years.

So I hope you understand my wish to get rid of the TeX prefix (which does not mean that I do not like TeX). Another problem is that TeXmacs output looks too much like TeX's that even if I tell people that TeXmacs does not use TeX they will not believe me.... But I will not propose to get rid of CM fonts altogheter (at least not now...).

Name does not have to convey meaning. Lyx for example is a very good name without any direct link to the software. There is also not real need to change the name (especially if no good alternative could be found). But we need to rethink the "marketing" strategy. Not to make money, but to ensure a future to this open source software by allowing a larger user community. This would mean: better documentation, more tutorials, more development (hopefully). These are my concerns wrt this software.

best,

Massimiliano