Re: [TeXmacs] TeXmacs name

  • From: Gubinelli Massimiliano <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] TeXmacs name
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 17:23:23 +0100

Andrea,
I fully agree with you. Usability is really bad (moreso outside the unix world) and we should work hard on this and on integration with CAS to reach a point where TeXmacs could be preferrable to e.g. Scientific Workplace (a Windows commercial platform with integrated CAS - mupad).
The problem is that this require quite a lot of unpleasant fine-tuning work and people to do it. Im not claiming that another name will improve usability but I'm arguing that changing name could help the process of community making by attracting more external people on the project and giving them a chanche to get involved in this development. I'm not expecting a magical effect but I think that the upcoming large restructuring of the software (by the finalization of the Qt port) give us a "singularity" where a change of name could be justified.

Moreover change a name cost less than writing lines of software.... So it would be interesting to assess which benefits (or losses) we could induce by it.

max