Re: : [TeXmacs] texmacs logos

  • From: Peter Rapčan <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: : [TeXmacs] texmacs logos
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 22:32:42 +0200

Hi,

On Mar 28, 2012, at 1:17 PM, Massimiliano Gubinelli wrote:

I think that the current logo is very well crafted. The negative point is that it has nothing to do with the software
: does not convey any idea of simplicity or power or beauty which are caracteristic of texmacs.

I don't believe any icon will be able to do that.

It can be a logo for a chip design software, or for a number crunching app, but I do not see how it fits with texmacs

To me, the connotation of the chip is "something technical", possibly related to computing (like computer algebra systems which texmacs is an interface to), while the reversed sigma letter (although probably meant to denote an M ;-) ) evokes the mathematical summation symbol, which is well in line with (a small excerpt of) what texmacs facilitates... i.e. it enables writing texts with mathematical symbols. Maybe I would just reverse the "sigma" / add upper & lower indices (in the case of large icons)  to make it really denote a summation.

and with the image we want to have for this software. This said, I have difficult time to make something which has the same visual appeal in any situation...

best
max

P.S. On a second thought, #9 looks too similar to the BibDesk icon. Maybe the circular version of #9 from Julien Frontisi's email is more convenient.

Best,

Peter