Re: [TeXmacs] An emergency latex mode for unexpected PhD advisor visits?

  • From: Giovanni Piredda <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] An emergency latex mode for unexpected PhD advisor visits?
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2019 21:31:42 +0200

Am 01.06.2019 um 20:58 schrieb Amir Michail:
Hello,

It seems there is a lot of social pressure in academia for using LaTeX and
avoiding WYSIWYG. I suspect that PhD students are particularly susceptible to
this social pressure and would probably appreciate an emergency latex editing
mode that can be activated in less than a second and is at least partially
functional. It might come in handy during those unexpected advisor visits.

Amir

Hi Amir,
I disagree that this is a good solution. A better approach is IMO to consider whether you can use TeXmacs for your work as a PhD student or not; if for example TeXmacs is incompatible with collaboration with other people in your workgroup or if your advisor wants you to write in LaTeX (which maybe happens rarely, but I do not know), then it is better to use LaTeX. Otherwise if your advisor wants to know what program are you writing with, you can explain that it is a program built according to the idea that structured writing and WYSIWYG can be realized at the same time.

Giovanni