Re: facilities to comment documents

  • From: TeXmacs <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: facilities to comment documents
  • Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2020 19:55:45 +0100

Dear all,

I did a first tentative implementation for comments (revision 13272, upcoming
TeXmacs 1.99.17).
The functionality becomes available by selecting the 'comment' package.

As the discussion on this list has shown, there are different commenting
styles.
We basically want to support all of them:

- Unfolded comments (could also have been called 'embedded' or 'inline')
- Folded comments
- Margin comments

I only implemented the first two; comments in the margins could be added later
(for this, it would be nice to design a draft style with large margins).

There is a bit of a hassle due to the fact that inline and block content
needs to be treated differently. Unfolded comments need to be alone
on a line if they contain block content. This may create a bit of havoc
when switching between unfolded and folded comments, but we can probably
live with that for now.

Since our tooltip balloons are completely functional now,
this also makes folded comments more attractive:
you can navigate accross all comments using C-[ and C-],
and the tooltips will show you the comments to be reviewed.

I also implemented Alvaro's suggestion of making it possible to
show all comments in a separate window. We don't have the "subtle lines"
that connect the commented text and the corresponding comments,
but TeXmacs knows how to synchronize the cursor positions,
so that should be more or less as good (maybe even less distracting).
One pending issue is to make cursors somewhat more visible.

The comments window is also a nice illustration of the new way
to deal with 'mirroring', i.e. the ability to edit the same text
in different windows. We have not used this feature much until now,
so feedback about this and potential bugs will be welcome.

For the moment, comments are attached to single locations,
but the markup contains an additional slot that will make it
possible to attach comments to regions of text.
In case we need that some day.

The coloring scheme is stored in the user preferences and
not in the document. This allows you to assign once and
for all colors to your favorite collaborators.

Best wishes, --Joris