Re: Why not have "adaptive" TeXmacs manual for LaTeX users?

  • From: Darcy Shen <address@hidden>
  • To: "texmacs-users" <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: Why not have "adaptive" TeXmacs manual for LaTeX users?
  • Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2020 01:56:28 +0800
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.zoho.com.cn; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=address@hidden; dmarc=pass header.from=<address@hidden> header.from=<address@hidden>
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=zoho.com.cn; s=zohoarc; t=1607190991; h=Content-Type:Date:From:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Message-ID:References:Subject:To; bh=l4m9HOOEtP/g1UVHNU8nC0vmy2yDDEFg+tUHMaxLKG8=; b=qV2QJ1Xwitu2ur3Fq/VPptWn7GyadLuuKTWcIwi5fNw4tFuJG4Ge84IKP/IaJQZWlbn6fCuNaN3WGuxUN6mXhYNeqnCI46osxl8KhLiMfcIKUf0NSa2G+PfrYRpQvUPbXrT1QHAfrq3uDtmIzTK+EkS4yOvXQux0xHc6TyFCO58=
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1607190991; cv=none; d=zoho.com.cn; s=zohoarc; b=UrndV8cI1VbIT7Em2bmnbyPgI+Qb7ndTfDzhvJHogChyMAy6EJ/47lX8Qwh2dNnC9wiywjYnWoeq8OryGGLwJacuwzmRiEgOmBx42WtUbwh/p1zSf2RcDyh6xQKd3pdF46aY9C2Tj+iW44lTCqqnweHK+j7rRSWwKmDMp/CsAMg=

FYI

And to clarify, Xmacs is not a replacement of TeXmacs. Personally, I'm doing experiments in Xmacs. Currently, I only tried to fix bugs in Xmacs. And later, I'd like to focus more on displaying code (like displaying a numpy matrix as a TeXmacs matrix) and editing code in Xmacs. When I started to work on Xmacs, someone told me about XEmacs. I know nothing about XEmacs before. Xmacs stands for a simplified TeXmacs without "Te" for users who does not use LaTeX and but still write math formula sometimes.

---- On Sun, 2020-12-06 01:22:07 Darcy Shen <address@hidden> wrote ----

I beg to differ. TeXmacs needs a lot of users.

I tried to release Xmacs based on TeXmacs and selled the services (binaries, remote aid) to the TeXmacs users in China. The users varies from high school students to professors.

One of the high school students knows nothing about command line. For Chinese users, we have to install the fandol fonts to the dir: $HOME/.TeXmacs/font/truetype . The `.TeXmacs` folder is hidden. And he does not known how to put the fonts into the correct path. And he also don't know how to launch TeXmacs from the command line with the `--delete-font-cache` option. But he is a TeXmacs user. We talked with each other using a Zoom like app, he shared his screen with me, and I helped him to complete the required steps to use TeXmacs as a Chinese user.

In my opinion, TeXmacs is an evolution from Emacs. In TeXmacs, we can use Scheme to write a friendly widget to complete a task(configuration/edit/others). We can use Scheme, but users do not need to know about scheme to use TeXmacs.

For `--delete-font-cache`, I wrote a menu entry to complete the task, see:

The patch only removes the related files. And we could make it better using Scheme:

+ After deleting the related files, prompt a dialog and let users to choose whether to restart TeXmacs (or rebuild the font cache) to make it work.
+ Another menu entry to scan the .TeXmacs/fonts folder to add the fonts
+ Even more, a menu entry to install the fonts and add the font to the metadata in one click

Users are always good or smart enough to use TeXmacs. And TeXmacs should be better and smarter.

---- On Tue, 2020-12-01 07:20:51 Massimiliano Gubinelli <address@hidden> wrote ----

Personally,

I do not think TeXmacs need a lot of users. It needs *good users*, *smart users*, *users which want to spend some time contributing to the project in some way*, *users that are willing to help improving the program*.

Typical LaTeX users, especially those which are not able to understand manuals, and just copy things out of stackexchange, can remain there were they are. :) They certainly didn't made LaTeX what is now and will not in any way make a better environment for TeXmacs.

Give us the Lamports, the Hoenigs, the Rahtz, the Spivaks, the Tantaus, please. :)

Max