Re: bug / feature request

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: bug / feature request
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 23:59:57 +0100 (MET)

> > > 1: (BUG) Apparently, in math mode, using the ESC-B (overbar) has the
> > > problem that moving forward does not just move out of the overbar
> > > construct, it moves out of all current environments. I have to move
> > > out then move the cursor back in to math mode, but just before the
> > > character with the overbar in order to continue with math (or theorem,
> > > or whatever is applicable.)
> >
> > Could you provide a more precise procedure? I was unable to reproduce the
> > problem here.
>
> It is apparently only a problem when using certain capital letters.
> overbar 's' works OK, but overbar 'S' jumps out of math mode. overbar
> 'N' apparently works correctly, so this is a little more odd than I thought.
>
> I did some checking, and it doesn't matter if you do it from the
> keyboard or from the drop-down accent menu. ESC-B, or bar, then say S
> (complement of S) is typeset, then moving forward, either by CTRL-F or
> right-arrow takes the cursor out of math mode. This does not happen
> with any of the other accent characters -- tilde, vector -- though I
> haven't thoroughly tested every possible combination yet.

What is really going on is that cursor movement is purely graphical.
If you type \hat{S} at the end of a mathematical formula,
then the middle of cursor is graphically outside the formula,
because of the right slope of the S. Consequently, you will go
out of the formula when moving the cursor right.
Nevertheless, you may move the cursor back left again and
you will be able to position the cursor as you wish.

Maybe the current scheme should be optimized somehow.
One might also choose the graphical reference point for
the cursor at the base line, but this might cause some
other problems. Ideally speaking, I might try to find
a graphical cursor position which rematches the logical
position after conversion (by moving left or right
for instance). Please put this on the wish list
as not so urgent (this problem is not that frequent,
although it occurred to me in other situations too).

Best wishes, Joris