Re: Keymap?

  • From: Pierre-Henri Jondot <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Keymap?
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 22:14:37 +0100

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 19:56:14 +0100
Jan Alboszta <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello
> I've installed TeXmacs 1.0.1 (not for first time, I've used it before)
> and got stucked. TeXmacs doesn't act correctly when right alt + some
> letter is pressed. It should put for example "±" (for alt + a
> combination). And it puts just "a". Menu and loaded docs are
> displayed correctly, so it looks like input problem. I would think that
> it's general X trouble but i can type polish chars in other applications.
> It's strange, because I don't remember doing something special to get
> TeXmacs running before.
> I've tried some preferences about keyboard but with no success. Could it
> be xfree86 4.3 fault? It's one thing that diffrents from previous system.
> Thanks if someone can point me what to change.

I am quite sure indeed the remapping being done by xfree86 4.3 is the
culprit. On my french keyboard, the right alt (alt-gr) was using Mode_switch
keysym with xfree 4.2, it is now ISO_Level3_Shift.

Apart from texmacs, I've found that xemacs, wine do not like the new mapping
(the alt-gr is not useable under wine at all, so it gets impossible to input
such characters as {, [ and so on...)

I hadn't tried texmacs with xfree 4.3. I just did and indeed the alt-gr key
is inactive here too (which makes it almost useless)... I am talking of
texmacs 1.0.1 too but I guess the problem should be the same with more
recent releases.

Unfortunately, I've no idea of a fix right now (except downgrading to xfree
4.2.1 of course). Yet I tried lots of xmodmap combinations, and google did
not prove very helpful either... (Obviously, only those among us that are
using alternative keymaps are experiencing trouble with xfree 4.3...)

--
Pierre-Henri Jondot <address@hidden>
Page perso : http://perso.wanadoo.fr/phj