Re: [TeXmacs] New mode for graphics

  • From: Ingolf Schäfer <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden, "Joris van der Hoeven" <address@hidden>
  • Cc: "daniel miranda" <address@hidden>, address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] New mode for graphics
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 22:44:38 +0200

Hello everyone,

from what I understood, you are asking for feedback about the graphics mode. First of all let me say, that all the developers who worked on this extension did a great job. Version 1.5.9 impressed me very much by not only adding a graphical mode, but also a direct function plotter. (Maybe this was also in 1.5.8, which I skipped, but nevertheless a great feature ;-) )

From my point of view, texmacs should not try to compete with pure drawing tools like xfig, Inkscape, Canvas or what ever you like. I use TeXmacs mainly for work, that is writing mathematics. So, I need formulas, plots and commutative diagramms. This can be handled very well with the plugins, we have, but it is much nicer to have it one application. So, if TeXmacs offers this functionality: perfect.

The only thing with disturbs me about the graphics mode is, that I do not find it intuitive, or to be more precise: It is very different from the drawing, I am used to. This is mainly a problem of good documentation. The tutorial was a good start, but without it I did not really manage to draw something worthy. Instead I had problems, because typing C-backspace, sent TeXmacs into some nasty problems resulting in a crash.

My suggestion is to keep working on this graphical mode, but to add a feature, which I really would like to have, namely keyboard movement in menubar or context menu. I always have to use the mouse, which is a bit annoying because moving in the menuitems with cursor would be faster. Memorizing every shortcut is not an alternative. (I case you wonder, I fear, taht we may end up having a feature wish list, not a task list ;-) )

That written, I say a BIG THANK YOU to all people working on TeXmacs.

Yours,

Ingolf Schaefer