Re: [TeXmacs] New mode for graphics

  • From: Mark Arrasmith <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] New mode for graphics
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:36:26 -0500

On Friday 30 September 2005 11:17 am, Corey Sweeney wrote:
> With the harsh words being said, I just wanna say that I am excited about
> this. Thanks to everyeone involved.

I'd also like to say thanks.

Now for some IMS(tupid)O comments/questions ...

Is the graphics mode the future plan for how sessions (MuPad, Maxima, Octave,
gnuplot, etc) should dump graphics back into the document?

It would be a very useful tool for gnuplot to return an image where we could
add advanced text, labels, further diagrams, and resize from within the
graphics mode. I suppose a variation of a pstoedit pass-through is what I'm
thinking about.

Is the editing graphics mode going to be designed for Mathematics (geometry,
etc) or Graphics (flow charts)?

If geometry is one goal I would recommend that people play with
http://edu.kde.org/kig/. KIG is part of the KDEedu project. The interface
behavior with the buttons, mouse pointers, and menus is an environment that I
really like. Right now the TeXmacs graphics editor doesn't give me enough
feedback on what I'm doing at any given moment. For example if I select the
TextBox button or Add Circle button I can't tell at all which mode I'm in.

Bugs:
Z and z don't zoom the image for me. They just type Z or z within the image.

(I'm using the rpm install)

You can get locked out of editing the image.
Steps:
Insert a new drawing.
First thing ... create a text box in the image and type some text.
You then can't click out of that text box within the image.

- mark