Re: [TeXmacs] New mode for graphics

  • From: Javier Arantegui <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] New mode for graphics
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 11:12:14 +0200

Hello,

El Viernes, 30 de Septiembre de 2005 10:46, Magnus Rohde escribió:
> As I have never used Xfig, I cannot compare the two, but when you
> compare TeXmacs to any other drawing program (eg. OpenOffice Draw) you
> notice several things:

I agree in many things you say in your message, but remember that the
graphics
mode in TeXmacs is just an alpha. So, it is normal that either it lack of
many features or it is buggy.

> (1) You have to use more than one mouse button to create a line. It may
> seem inefficient to only use one mouse button, but that is the way most
> programs work and it is therefore the most familiar. (actually this
> goes for the entire interface)

Well, in Xfig you use the 3 buttons of the mouse to draw. In the beginning is
pretty strange but eventually it's great. Altough Xfig interface is quite
old, I love its usability (after the learning curve).

> (2) No colour gradients or transparency.

No gradients or transparency in Xfig. I know that this is a must for many
people but I don't use them because I don't need them.

> (3) I cannot import and place graphics from other sources (pdf files
> etc.)

> (5) There is no align/distribute function.

Yes, that's important. But I'm sure that they are in the developer team To-do
list.

> The most important here is (1). If I need more that one mouse button
> it's too complicated.

Not for me. I think that (3) is the most important.

Javier

--
Javier Arántegui
Dept. Tecnologia de Alimentos / Dept. of Food Technology

Tel. +34 973702595
Fax +34 973702596
IM: Jabber - javier.arantegui (AT) jabberes.org
http://www.tecal.udl.es