Re: [TeXmacs] texmacs 1.0.7 is now packaged for debian

  • From: Andrea Gamba<address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] texmacs 1.0.7 is now packaged for debian
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 09:30:26 +0100 (CET)

Andrea Gamba wrote:

>Are the mimetypes something specific to the distribution? Does it work on
>other distributions such as Redhat by default?

Someone else should tell, I abandoned Redhat a long time ago. But in principle
I think that mimetypes should be universal, just a description of the filetype
and the application needed to open it.

>I do not know much about mime types. I will try to learn about them this
>weekend and see what I can do.

Here:
http://adrianus.wordpress.com/2007/02/07/howto-add-new-mime-types-and-icon-for-
visio-document-in-ubuntu/
there is some information.

More precise information is, I think, here:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/shared-mime-info

The texmacs developers also should know about it, because something is there:

andrea@sita:~$ dpkg -L texmacs |grep mime
/usr/lib/mime
/usr/lib/mime/packages
/usr/lib/mime/packages/texmacs

andrea@sita:~$ dpkg -L texmacs-common |grep mime
/usr/share/texmacs/TeXmacs/misc/mime
/usr/share/texmacs/TeXmacs/misc/mime/texmacs.desktop
/usr/share/texmacs/TeXmacs/misc/mime/texmacs.mime
/usr/share/texmacs/TeXmacs/misc/mime/texmacs.keys
/usr/share/texmacs/TeXmacs/misc/mime/texmacs.applications

So possibly it is just not going in the right places? that's what I would
think
comparing with

http://adrianus.wordpress.com/2007/02/07/howto-add-new-mime-types-and-icon-for-
visio-document-in-ubuntu/

But then, why is it (if it is) working on Debian? perhaps they create some
link?

Andrea