Re: [TeXmacs] texmacs 1.0.7 is now packaged for debian

  • From: Andrea Gamba<address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] texmacs 1.0.7 is now packaged for debian
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 11:08:08 +0100 (CET)

>What's great with such opensource softwares and such users' community
>(especially this texmacs one) is the fact when you say "i encounter this
>problem", then anyone (able or not to fix the problem) tries to help.

Yes, that's really great.

>The Debian-specific documentation about support for MIME types is:
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/mime-policy/
> man update-mime
> man dh_installmime

I guess there must be something similar, Ubuntu specific, someone knows it?
Here:
http://adrianus.wordpress.com/2007/02/07/howto-add-new-mime-types-and-icon-for-
visio-document-in-ubuntu/
there is some suggestion, but it is not official or complete.

>Note that i can work without any problem wihout this mime type
>recognized

I have also been working with texmacs all this time long, both with and
withoud
mime type recognition. However, once you use a desktop manager such as gnome
or
kde, not to speak of windows or macs, you expect that a document opens by
clicking on it, and that the document itself shows up as a nice icon
corresponding to its filetype. It is convenient and logically coherent. If it
is just about putting some file in the right place, I think it is worth doing
it.

Andrea