Re: [TeXmacs] spurious brackets in Axiom session

  • From: Maxim Nikulin <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] spurious brackets in Axiom session
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 23:16:50 +0700

Alejandro Jakubi wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jun 2009, Andrey G. Grozin wrote:

Why don't you just compile the current TeXmacs from sources? Then you can make a .deb and submit it to Ubuntu.

Several reasons. E.g. my experiences with trying to compile applications in the past have been of failure most of the times. And not even the developers were able to solve the compilation problems that I have found. So, I prefer to leave it to those persons with expertise on these issues.

I hope my recipe will be helpful.

I use debian sources just because I have a fast mirror nearby. I don't know whether there are any problems with backporting of ubuntu sources. You can use e.g. http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/t/texmacs/
Download texmacs_1.0.7.orig.tar.gz, texmacs_1.0.7-2.dsc and texmacs_1.0.7-2.diff.gz

Likely dash should be disabled as a default shell due to these sources contain scripts with "bashisms". I checked that the most annoying of them have been fixed in svn.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure dash

dpkg-source -x texmacs_1.0.7-2.dsc
cd texmacs-1.0.7/
sudo apt-get build-dep texmacs
# actually you should have installed everything mentioned in
# the debian/control file, Build-Depends entry
fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage -b -us -uc
cd ..
sudo dpkg -i texmacs_1.0.7-2_i386.deb texmacs-common_1.0.7-2_all.deb

That's all. The problem with spurious brackets disappears (at least for maxima).

MN> Disappointing... Ubuntu seems to be wrong choice for scientific
applications.

For me the point is Axiom. Ubuntu is one of the distributions with its most
updated binaries:

http://www.axiom-developer.org/axiom-website/download.html

I don't see .deb files from the first glance. Even if they were there, I would prefer packages out of box.

$ apt-cache policy axiom
axiom:
Installed: 20050901-9ubuntu1
Candidate: 20050901-9ubuntu1
Version table:
*** 20050901-9ubuntu1 0
500 http://ru.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/universe Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Ancient version in the community repository `universe' but not official `main'. And it is broken:

(1) -> integrate(x**2, x)
UnivariatePolynomialMultiplicationPackage

>> System error:
Couldn't protect

(I'm aware of setarch workaround.)

Ubuntu 8.04 is pretending to be stable `Long Time Support' release. We have broken axiom package, texmacs is inconsistent with maxima version.
That's why I believe that ubuntu is not intended for scientists.

--
Regards, Max