Re: [TeXmacs] spurious brackets in Axiom session

  • From: Maxim Nikulin <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] spurious brackets in Axiom session
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 00:21:05 +0700

Alejandro Jakubi wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jun 2009, Maxim Nikulin wrote:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure dash

I am reading at the Ubuntu wiki (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DashAsBinSh):

"Beware that this is a more invasive change, will undo boot speed benefits,
and there is even an outside chance that there are a few scripts that now
depend on some feature of dash that bash does not provide! (We expect the last
problem to be rare, as the feature set of dash is largely a subset of that
offered by bash, but we mention it for completeness.) "

Really, I am not interested in upsetting the OS because of this Axiom plugin
bracket issue. I wonder whether this change is reversible. I.e. if after
compiling Texmacs you have reverted back to dash as default shell and no
consequences remain from this process.

I think you can try to skip `sudo dpkg-reconfigure dash'. I don't remember if there are any issues with dash in texmacs_1.0.7-2 besides maxima_detect (fixed in SVN). You can rerun `sudo dpkg-reconfigure dash' any time to get dash as a /bin/sh.

Personally I switched to bash on a N-th bashism during compiling of ROOT aka root-system. I have not noticed slowing down of boot process due to the two reasons. Firstly, full boot-up is rather rare event for me, resume is routine. Secondly, kernel booting results in random timeout (up to 20 sec) on my box related to USB.

--
Regards, Max