Re: [TeXmacs] Slovak translation

  • From: Peter Rapčan <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Slovak translation
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 11:07:15 +0100

Dear Joris,

On Dec 31, 2010, at 10:33 AM, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

> Dear Peter,
>
> On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 03:00:29AM +0100, Peter Rapčan wrote:
>> Please find attached a english-slovak.scm file, which is as complete as
>> the english-czech.scm as I started with the latter and did all the
>> translations.
>
> Catastrophe; you did not select the right export options when saving your
> files.
> Both for the Verbatim -> TeXmacs *and* TeXmacs -> Verbatim conversions,
> you should disable line wrapping and select the Cork encoding...

Yes, I did a first save somehow automatically close to the beginning of my
editing session without thinking and only then realized that I have to change
the export encoding. I changed it afterwards and as all characters looked
fine on the screen, I thought this was not a problem (anyway the grey stuff
was present from the start, the first time I opened the fresh copy of
english-czech.scm texmacs crashed....hmm....)

> Do you think that you can repair the files (maybe write a script)?
> I will not have time for this for the moment.
OK, I will try to fix it, it would be helpful if texmacs showed what is
wrong.... Could I make a fresh copy of the english-czech.scm and use my
corrupted file and the texmacs feature of comparing two documents to
semi-automatically fix the file?

>> 1. I have used the Slovak equivalent of a "bracket" for translating a
>> "delimiter" (all delimiters in TeXmacs are what we would call different
>> types of brackets in Slovak, and there seems not to be a better choice
>> than just saying bracket). I hope this is OK.
>
> Sure.
>
>> 2. I have realized I cannot write the ô letter by typing command+shift+^
>> and o, which used to be an option... is this a bug? (I am using 1.0.7.9 Qt
>> port on OS X. (I can enter the letter with a standard Slovak keyboard of
>> Mac OS X, though).
>
> On MacOS, we now use the standard Mac shortcuts for accented letters indeed.
That seems reasonable but please let the user the option to use the original
way of inputting accented characters. It happens many times that I have to
input e.g. a German character and, naturally, I do not have a German key map
installed. It is much faster to use the original TeXmacs shortcuts than to
launch the character map application... and by the way, I was not able to
copy the ô letter from the Mac OS character map application into TeXmacs....

>> 3. The czech file contains some (very few) typos / incomplete
>> translations. I have corrected some of them (those which I could remember
>> after finishing the Slovak files. Please find attached the revised czech
>> file as well.
>
> Thanks.
You are welcome. There was one more typo in the file that I had been aware
of, but I could not quickly find it again.