Re: [Texmacs-dev] markdown

  • From: TeXmacs <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] markdown
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 04:07:16 +0100

Hi Frank,

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 09:19:55PM +0100, Frank wrote:
> Unfortunately, there are pretty many "dialects" of markdown.
> `pandoc` has an option for MediaWiki, though. (I have only used
> `pandoc` to convert very simple documents, so I cannot judge the
> quality, but it seems to me that `pandoc` is recommended by many people)

(It would have been nice to send us the right option.)

Thanks, with the right option for MediaWiki, I now manage to generate
a reasonably good-looking conversion to LaTeX. The Html converter
ignores all mathematical formulas. Both converters ignore footnotes,
which is disappointing if we want to use it for reading Wikipedia pages.

> By the way, conversion from LaTeX to html seems to be also painful.
> tex4ht breaks quite often, although I usually use it to convert math
> papers to ebooks to push on Kindles to read - when it works, it is
> okay. At least theoretically, texmacs does better - it has a much
> more regular syntax than LaTeX.

Yes, in my modest opinion the best converter from LaTeX to Html is ...
TeXmacs ;^)

The Html + MathML generated by TeXmacs is also quite good;
for about 10 years, this was not supported by browsers,
so I had to re-import the MathML into TeXmacs for checking.
But recent versions of Firefox seem to support MathML.

Best wishes, --Joris