Re: Release of TeXmacs 1.99.12

  • From: TeXmacs <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Release of TeXmacs 1.99.12
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2020 21:53:44 +0100

Happy new year to everybody!

Concerning the problems with Guile, I am currently investigating
whether we could include a version of Guile directly into TeXmacs;
probably version 1.6.8, which is the last one without non-trivial
dependencies. I am aware that this solution is not ideal,
but I am afraid that the upgrade to version 2 will still
require quite a lot of effort. The positive aspect of
integrating Guile would be that we do not need to worry about
adapting to yet other potential changes in the Guile interface.
My personal opinion is that Guile 2 is so different from Guile 1
that it would have been better to use an entirely different name
instead of forcing people to adapt to an essentially new program.

I will post again as soon as we will have worked out something
that you may test.

Best wishes, --Joris