Re: Release of TeXmacs 1.99.12

  • From: TeXmacs <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Release of TeXmacs 1.99.12
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 03:00:11 +0100

Hi Giovanni,

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 11:57:39AM +0100, Giovanni Piredda wrote:
> On 23.01.20 11:53, Massimiliano Gubinelli wrote:
> >I do not think plugins can control much of the typetting (also, maybe you
> >do not want this). However since you have scheme you can always invoke
> >external programs from scheme and back, providing you the access to full
> >functionality (but essentially this means that you have to build a new
> >communication protocol). Also, I think you can dinamically link libraries
> >to TeXmacs while running, but I do not remember what are the
> >functionalities that are available to you in that case.
>
> Thanks for the explanation. I have come to like writing programs in
> Scheme (by the way I have started exploring its debugger, the first
> experience was positive ... I have already forgotten all about it
> though!), but I thought that Python could be attractive for other
> people.

The problem with using a plug-in for typesetting is speed:
the usual communication over pipes is asynchroneous,
so this is way to slow for what you want.

So you definitely would need to dynamically link your plug-in to
make things work like you want. From the TeXmacs side, this interface
is essentially similar (the messages are just passed directly using
a C interface). But I don't know whether Python is available
in such a way.

Best wishes, --Joris