A wiki for TeXmacs?

  • From: Giovanni Piredda <address@hidden>
  • To: texmacs-users <address@hidden>
  • Subject: A wiki for TeXmacs?
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2020 18:21:03 +0100

Dear all,

I think a wiki for TeXmacs, written in good part by users, could be helpful.

There used to be one - still linked from http://www.texmacs.org/tmweb/help/informal.en.html and saved on the "Internet Archive" (http://web.archive.org/web/20051107175054/alqua.com/tmresources/FrontPage); at the moment there is a wiki on GitHub, at https://github.com/texmacs/texmacs/wiki. I did not understand how to edit the GitHub wiki (as suggested here: http://forum.texmacs.cn/t/a-wiki-for-texmacs/71/2) but it might be through pull requests.

A user-maintained TeXmacs wiki could be helpful for TeXmacs and therefore for all people that use it. Wiki topics relatively easy to write up are syntheses of good mailing-list answers - I am available to write some of them and this could become a FAQ.

Another good use of the wiki would be in my opinion a collection of links to plugins written by people not on the development team. I got the idea from the DokuWiki website, here: https://www.dokuwiki.org/plugins and especially here: https://www.dokuwiki.org/devel:plugins#publishing_a_plugin_on_dokuwikiorg; the software itself would be in other repositories, the wiki would contain links, descriptions and instructions. This would on one hand set the necessary distance between the software written by the development team and the user contributions (clear separation) and on the other hand would both show prospective users what is available and hopefully encourage current and prospective users to contribute more. Since uploads would not be permitted, this is probably quite safe and takes less work (maybe just very little) to manage.

For the wiki itself, if the GitHub one is the one that the developers would like to have, I would suggest to

- write up instructions on how to contribute

- put a link to it from the texmacs.org website

Another possibility is DokuWiki. On https://www.dokuwiki.org/faq:license#dokuwiki_software it says that it is released under the GPL so it is appropriate for a wiki on a free software project. I use it privately and it has been easy and quick to set up for my private use, maybe it will be easy to set it up for public use too (I do not know). Again IMO, it should be linked to from the texmacs.org website (it could be even part of texmacs.org, but maybe the designs do not fit together well).

A debate on the wiki topic would be nice :-)

Giovanni