Re: [TeXmacs] Lyx

  • From: Valery Pipin <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Lyx
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 20:14:39 +0900

Hi,

I'm using lyx and texmacs concurrently on my linux box. These programs were
designed for the different purposes.
> Today I've read an article about Lyx (1). After that and after all this
> discussion about known and unknown problems of TeXmacs, I decided that I
> would try Lyx (2). The last time I did was two or three years ago. I've
> just tried for some minutes and here are my first impressions.
>
> The truth is I found it quite good. Well, the truth is I found it very
> good, although I think that TeXmacs is better and faster to write
> equations. One great thing is that you can compile it to use QT, GTK or
> XForms, that means that it integrates quite well in your desktop.
this is not an argument for me I think that texmacs is very well integrated
my desktop because I'm able to do lengthy calculations with help of maxima
interface inside texmacs. I'm used to exporting the final results to tex and
then importing them to lyx ;-). I'm using lyx for writing the scientific
papers because it produces less messy tex files in exporting documents to
latex.

> Another big thing is that it seems that you can configure LyX more easily.
May be, however, the easiest way to do something is always related with
personal acquirement.

> As I told you in a previous message I think that the use of TeXmacs as a
> GUI of applications like Maxima is a killer application. LyX can do some
> limited operations with Octave or Maxima (3).
currently, the support is very (very..) poor
> That could be good when you
> just need a relativelly simple operation, in the rest of the cases wxMaxima
> (4) could be the answer.
texmacs is much better to me in this case because it combines the notebook
style with perfect output of mathematical expression. Both things are'nt
available with wxmaxima.

At last, I don't understand the idea behind your message.

best regards
Valery
PS
> (3) http://maxima.sourceforge.net/lyx+maxima