Lyx

  • From: Javier Arantegui <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Lyx
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 12:35:32 +0200

Hello,

Today I've read an article about Lyx (1). After that and after all this
discussion about known and unknown problems of TeXmacs, I decided that I
would try Lyx (2). The last time I did was two or three years ago. I've just
tried for some minutes and here are my first impressions.

The truth is I found it quite good. Well, the truth is I found it very good,
although I think that TeXmacs is better and faster to write equations. One
great thing is that you can compile it to use QT, GTK or XForms, that means
that it integrates quite well in your desktop.

Another big thing is that it seems that you can configure LyX more easily.

As I told you in a previous message I think that the use of TeXmacs as a GUI
of applications like Maxima is a killer application. LyX can do some limited
operations with Octave or Maxima (3). That could be good when you just need a
relativelly simple operation, in the rest of the cases wxMaxima (4) could be
the answer.

Maybe it's time to explore greener pastures.

Javier

(1) A First Look at LyX
http://linuxcult.com/story/05012006/a_first_look_at_lyx/

(2) http://www.lyx.org/

(3) http://maxima.sourceforge.net/lyx+maxima

(4) http://wxmaxima.sourceforge.net/

--
Javier Arántegui
Dept. Tecnologia de Alimentos / Dept. of Food Technology

Tel. +34 973702595
Fax +34 973702596
IM: Jabber - javier.arantegui (AT) jabberes.org
http://www.tecal.udl.es