Re: [TeXmacs] Lyx

  • From: Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Lyx
  • Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 23:20:54 -0500

Hi,

Javier Arantegui wrote:

Hi,

El Martes, 2 de Mayo de 2006 12:37, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas escribió:

I was related with first translations of TeXmacs documentation and the
idea was to build a Scientific Suite of software (Word Procesing,
Presentations, SpreadSheet, etc.). Making a visually appealing interface
for CAS was, as far as I know, a key design issue for this, not a bonus.
Joris has a paper about this, but I don't remember where is.

Probably you are thinking in this: http://www.texmacs.org/Data/TeXmacs.pdf

Yep, it was.

I agree. From the messages of the last week, I think that is better
"componentize" TeXmacs even more, so integration with desktop can be
obtained in different forms for different people. (For my needs in
integrates enought well, of course, is always perfectible).

What do you mean with "componentize"?

I think that LyX, for example, can be compiled using different toolkits. That's good because let KDE or Gnome users use the desktop dialog boxes.

Javier

It's something like that, but the idea behind componentization is that TeXmacs could talk with another programs in a lot of ways (using "services" a la eclipse) and viceversa. In that fashion you could use the file manager you want to save in TeXmacs (rox filer, for example) and also, parts of TeXmacs will be available to other programs (like the excelent math writing engine)... Some KDE Developer, wich is also a physic scientits, talked about services and this vision, but I can't find his post. But componentized TeXmacs goes far the tookit and in fact can be done before the multiple toolkit approach.

Cheers,

Offray

--
El Directorio