Re: [TeXmacs] Lyx

  • From: Valery Pipin <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Lyx
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 20:57:28 +0900

Hi,
> First I wanted to send the link I broke.
Thanks. Well, I've just try and it does not work for me (lyx-1.4.1). Perhaps
something is wrong in my system. Also, I've never seen on the lyx site that
they officially support CAS unless you can find the items for
maple,mathematica, maxima and octave in math menu.
> El Martes, 2 de Mayo de 2006 13:14, Valery Pipin escribió:
> > I'm using lyx and texmacs concurrently on my linux box. These programs
> > were designed for the different purposes.
>
> I disagree. As far I know, TeXmacs was designed to be a scientific document
> processor, not a GUI for math software. You can use it as GUI and it's a
> great bonus.
Correct, this is written on the texmacs web page. I thought the original idea
was interface to CAS but I'm not sure.

> > this is not an argument for me I think that texmacs is very well
> > integrated to my desktop because I'm able to do lengthy calculations
> > with help of maxima interface inside texmacs.
>
> I'm lost here. I don't think that desk integration is related to the
> possibility of doing calculations. I was thinking about the messages of the
> last weekend.
This is my personal argument. I wanted to show you that everybody can
consider
this point from the different points of view. You look at it from the point
of view of windows decoration. I look at this program like on the function to
do something usefull to me.

> > texmacs is much better to me in this case because it combines the
> > notebook style with perfect output of mathematical expression. Both
> > things are'nt available with wxmaxima.
>
> wxMaxima provides a lot of help for beginners and the output is not so bad.
Agree.
> Anyway, I thing that TeXmacs is a better GUI than wxMaxima if you use
> Maxima frequently.
Correct. Emacs + ecb is even better gui for programming with maxima. My way
is
the following:1)write & debug program within emacs, 2)run it inside texmacs,
3)prepare paper inside lyx or texmacs . The latter depends on the final
requirements. Unfortunately the latex output from texmacs is too messy and
need more additional work compare with the same for lyx.

best regards,
Valery