Re: [TeXmacs] Lyx

  • From: Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Lyx
  • Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 05:37:23 -0500

Hi,

Valery Pipin wrote:

I disagree. As far I know, TeXmacs was designed to be a scientific document
processor, not a GUI for math software. You can use it as GUI and it's a
great bonus.

Correct, this is written on the texmacs web page. I thought the original idea was interface to CAS but I'm not sure.
[...]

I was related with first translations of TeXmacs documentation and the idea was to build a Scientific Suite of software (Word Procesing, Presentations, SpreadSheet, etc.). Making a visually appealing interface for CAS was, as far as I know, a key design issue for this, not a bonus. Joris has a paper about this, but I don't remember where is.

[...]

I'm lost here. I don't think that desk integration is related to the
possibility of doing calculations. I was thinking about the messages of the
last weekend.

This is my personal argument. I wanted to show you that everybody can consider this point from the different points of view. You look at it from the point of view of windows decoration. I look at this program like on the function to do something usefull to me.

I agree. From the messages of the last week, I think that is better "componentize" TeXmacs even more, so integration with desktop can be obtained in different forms for different people. (For my needs in integrates enought well, of course, is always perfectible).

Cheers,

Offray

--
El Directorio