Re: [TeXmacs] virtualbox

  • From: Paul Zarucki <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] virtualbox
  • Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 17:53:55 +0000

Hi Vincent,

To answer your last question first, DVDs cost very little so I would be happy to send you a copy when it is ready or, if the iso file is not too big, I might put it on my server (the bandwidth is limited but it might still be quicker than the postal service).

What I am really aiming for is an easy-to-follow recipe allowing anyone to create the DVD/USB image. Once created, it would be reasonably easy to use and copies could be given to anyone who wants to try it. Unlike a normal live CD, it would also be easy for you to install any additional software you want from the Debian package repository, as well as examples, help pages, whatever.

el.douwen wrote:
Is it possible to have a "portable" teXmacs on a usbkey instead of a CD ?
- showing teXmacs to colleagues, and, if they are interested, convincing them that it is possible and easy to install it. Even if "installing" is not the right word (eg: usbkey, or virtualbox). There must be "not too many complicatee operations" to do before being able to use the software.
This is my aim.
the possibility of inserting geogebra sessions in the texmacs document, i mean inserting geometric dynamic figures in the Texmacs document. I know that geogebra is written in java, while texmacs.. is not. But this option would ideally be very very interesting
Someone would have to write a Texmacs plugin for this. You could also try Texgraph, it looks very good and there is now a Texmacs plugin for it. See http://texgraph.tuxfamily.org/index.html for more info.
- i have just asked the "personne ressource" of my lycee, if he has a (.iso) of Ubuntu and Debian. Paul you have convinced me to use Debian 4.0
The full Debian system, with all packages, comes on 4 DVDs totalling 15GB !!! I normally install Debian using the "net install" CD. This is a small CD iso image (150MB approx) which you can download from www.debian.org. You boot the computer (real or virtual) from this and it allows you to install Debian from the Internet (or from a local Debian mirror). I find this way to be the most convenient installation method, but you need broadband/DSL or an on-site Debian mirror.
- on this liveware, ideally, the good version of ghostscript would be installed.
This is partly why I shall use Debian 4.0
But maybe Debian does not exist as liveCD ?
It does exist (http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/) but I'm not sure it helps you because I don't think the available iso images have Texmacs, etc. installed. You could, of course, follow the instructions on the debian-live web site to make your own liveTexmacs Debian CD. I could do this myself but I don't have a high bandwidth server from which to distribute iso images to lots of people.
- so: virtualbox offers 2 possibilitys: 1), using a installation CD, doing as if you were installing Debian or Ubuntu, except that you are not installing it direct on the real machine, but on the virtualmachine. I guess that you just have to start virtualbox, and then insert the installation CD, and virtualbox is autonom and do its job. Then when you want to use the virtual system, you run virtualbox, you select the system you want among the ones you have installed in virtualbox, and then it works ? and 2), if a linux system is ready-to-boot on a CD, instead of restarting the computer and telling it to restart from the CD, you do the same virtually with virtualbox, so instead of restarting the real machine, you start virtualbox. Is it that ?
Exactly. It is very flexible.

Regards,

Paul.

--

Electronic Equipments Ltd.
101 Ridgeway Avenue, Dunstable, Bedfordshire, LU5 4QN, United Kingdom

Technical Services